Can you claim temporary insanity if you’re already a little bit insane?

Thursday, September 17

Golf, golf and more golf

I write this as I am sitting in a golf cart.  Why am I in a golf cart?  It’s not because I am currently involved in a golf game.  No, I am sitting in a golf cart as a show of support to my Carl.  You see, my parents have been out visiting for the last week or so, (we are on the ‘or so’ part) and one of my parents favorite things to do is golf.  My dad plays while my mom sits in the cart and does her counted cross stitch.  Carl decided that we too should do this.  (Golf, not counted cross stitch)  We are now on the eleventh hole.  I was done after the third.   Turns out driving a cart isn't as fun as it seems.  (FYI, they do not allow or condone the harassment of the golf course geese.)


 The current golf game aside, having my parents visit has been very nice.  It seems that my children’s behavior improves dramatically when they are around.  I believe it has to do with the amount of sugar and junk my dad buys them.  They know the better behaved they are (meaning then quieter they are.  Let’s be honest, my parents don’t really care if my kids are being naughty or not, as long as they are being quiet.) the more candy and junk they get.  In less than a week my children have turned into saints.  Not even Super-Nanny could perform a miracle like that. 

Other than golf we haven't done too much of anything.
 
Yeah, Lois is going to kill me for that.  I've already done worse, so I figure what the hey.  You see, a few nights ago she went out for her nightly walk.  I did not know that my mom went outside for a nightly walk.  Since it was night, and I do live in California, (another reason one would not expect to find their mother outside at 11 pm) I locked my doors.  By the time my mom returned I was brushing my teeth, completely unaware of her predicament.  Thankfully Bry heard and let her in.  According to Lois, she knocked and rang the bell for almost five minutes.  BUT, according to the timer in my toothbrush, it couldn't have been more than two.  Since the time discrepancy really wasn't all that pertinent, I apologized and told her Carl's 'snake story.* 

As for Wayne . . . .Lois and I have decided he needs more sleep and less sugar.  We made this decision after he spent a solid fifteen minutes using an English accent.  (no toothbrush timer required)  I have to admit, however, his English accent was rather impressive.  Besides the accent and golf, Wayne has also been doing water aerobics.  It started out as merely lap swimming.  Half-way through his laps he noticed the pool filling with bathing suit clad seniors.  Somehow the instructor bribed Wayne into trying the class out.  I had the privilege of peeking in . . . he was so cute!  By far the class member with the most energy.  (and who can blame him?  They were grooving away to some wicked Neil Diamond remix.  And as anyone who has ever tried water aerobics knows, that class is not easy...especially if your swimming method of choice includes the words 'doggy' or 'paddle.'  Which Wayne's does not.)  I know he's my dad, but in my expert opinion (as a certified aqua instructor who has never actually taught an aqua class), Wayne is a natural aqua student.  (as well as a fine Englishman)   

 *One of the things that Carl and Lois have bonded over is their mutual fear of snakes.  A few months back Carl came home from the gym and found a 'visitor' hanging out by the front door.  What followed is commonly referred to as Carl's snake story.  (he freaked, ran over and got me at my neighbor Holly's house, Holly tried to corner the snake, Carl stood across the street yelling, "You're so brave Holly!  So brave!",  I laughed and laughed and laughed and then told everyone)



4 comments:

Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...

You're a comedian...I throughly enjoyed your entertaining post! Seriously...glad you are able to have some visit time with your parents...AND...BONUS..."angelic kids"!

Kristin said...

BTW, my previous comment was deleted due to spelling errors! HA!

Brian and Cathy Phillips said...

Ok, my favoritest post ever. I laughed, I cried... I think I would have paid to see dad in a water aerobics class. Actually, I would pay to see you teach a water aerobics class. Either way, I'd be entertained. BTW, I need to meet your friend Holly. Anyone that Carl think is brave, well...
Oh, and your kids are angels, at least that's how I see it.

Who doesn't love a dancing penguin?!?